Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Today we reached a very exciting milestone!  We have filled up our privilege bucket for the first time this year!  The class brainstormed and voted and the first privilege is...bring in a stuffed animal day!  Which will be tomorrow (Wednesday).  Please remind your first grader to pack 1 stuffed animal in their bag for tomorrow.  We discussed the difference between a stuffed animal ( no light up/ sound effects etc) and a toy.  We discussed all kids who ride the bus need to keep their stuffed animal in their bags on the bus and then they can free them when they get into our room.

This class couldn't be more deserving, we took 2 (short) assessments today.  First our end of unit FUNdations test to look at how well we are doing with letter/sound correlation and handwriting of lowercase letters and then later a AIMSweb math assessment to get our baseline data for addition and subtraction.  I was very impressed by what I saw on both tests.  The big idea I went over with the kids was that I wasn't concerned so much with what they get right and wrong and just that they try their best.  I can honestly say they worked very hard today and they did try their best!

These assessments and much more will be shared with you at PTC in a few weeks.

Despite my best attempts at carving out time in the day to call and chat with families I have not made it through my list.  I know talking on the phone during the day is not easy or doable for everyone.  IF you did not get a call or chance to chat with me and want to chat or email about your child's transition into first grade I would love to connect.  Shoot me an email, my possible times are 10:10 am, 11:30am or 12:40pm.  No question or concern is too small.  I am all ears!  Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment